February 18, 2009 by MrBlueSkies
Right before I left for Orlando, I scheduled the once a year cleaning/servicing of my heater which is part of my oil service from my oil company. While the service guy was checking out my chimney, the terra cotta liner collapsed and disinegrated around his hand, trapping his hand in the chimney. With his free hand, he called his office for help. Two guys and 30 minutes later, his had was free. And that was were the “free” stuff ended.
You see, my house is almost 70 years old. The oil service guy told me the terra cotta chimney liner was destroyed but we were still able to use the chimney; however, he insisted I get it looked at immediately for safety sake. The oil company recommended Garden State Chimney. I called them repeated and left messages and no call back. I called the oil company and they apologized. Later that night, the guy from GSC called me and sounded annoyed. He said he was busy and it wasn’t serious since the chimney was still usable. He said he’d get back to me and that was the last I heard from him.
So I went to Orlando and then when I got home I had all those rehearsals and the show so I kinda forgot/ignored it/hoped it would fix itself. Of course, that was not a good thing and finally I called another company and the guy came out today.
Well it’s serious as my chimney is in bad shape. He was very concerned about the fact that the heater was venting into the basement and not into the chimney. He recommended a Stainless Steel liner and it would cost about $1,800 to $2,000 to install. AND he suggested a get a carbon monoxide alarm for safety sake. YIKES
But you gotta do what you gotta do so I am getting it done. He said since it’s an emergency he’ll be able to get the paperwork moving for the permit very quickly and should be able to start working on it first thing next week. I guess that’s part of being a home owner, the sucky part.